The Dash - Linda Ellis (1996)

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone, from the beginning…to the end.


He noted that first came the date of her birth and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time that she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own, the cars…the house…the cash.
What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash.

So, think about this long and hard. Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough to consider what’s true and real
and always try to understand the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile,
remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read, with your life’s actions to rehash…
would you be proud of the things they say about how you spent YOUR dash?



Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A hard, but amazing year ahead!

"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." Shing Xiong

So, I turned 29 years old last week, which means I am a year away from turning 30.  Now, it's not that I think 30 is old, but most of my life, it seemed I was waiting to be older, and suddenly, I don't know where my 20s went!  As I was approaching last week's birthday, I came across The Dash poem and realized that I want more "moments that take my breath away" - to show more love and appreciation - to not be so busy that I forget what is important. 

Thus, I finally put my bucket list into writing.  I have already accomplished 21 items on my life's bucket list, but I have 79 to go.  The first 30 items on my to-do list I want to complete within the year - by my 30th birthday.  It's a nice size list considering we have a busy law office, a very energetic toddler, and a beautiful baby girl arriving within weeks, but a year from now, I am determined to be more healthy physically, spiritually, and emotionally.

I am very excited about year 29 - it's going to be a hard but amazing year!

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Jess! You have an amazing list! We have a few overlapping items- it would be awesome to check them off together! I think I may need to "borrow" some of the others ones you listed. I also need to pull out the list I wrote my senior year of high school/ freshman year of college to finish compiling my 30. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete